Find the latest information about exhibitions and programs at the Mississippi Arts + Entertainment Experience
Photography Policy and Guidelines
The MAX is a popular location for photographers. While personal photography is encouraged at the Museum, it must be conducted without disruption to Museum operations.
Casual photography is permitted in The MAX’s galleries subject to the conditions below. Photography of special exhibitions or works on loan to the Museum is sometimes prohibited by lenders. Photo restriction notices will be posted in the galleries.
- Take casual photos for personal use only.
- Use handheld cameras, cell phones, and tablets with the flash turned off.
- Post images from their visits on personal social media sites as long as they are not used for profit.
Visitors may NOT:
- Use tripods, lights, selfie sticks, or other external equipment.
- Sell or publish the images.
- Use the images to promote any outside product or service.
The MAX reserves the right to withhold or withdraw permission to photograph on the premises. The MAX staff have the authority to approach and verify the intent of photography and to enforce the Photography Policy.
Members of the media should make arrangements for all photo and video shoots in advance. To coordinate a shoot, please contact the Marketing Department. You may also submit a photography/filming request via email.
Members of the media must be escorted by members of The MAX Marketing staff at all times or have permission from Marketing to shoot independently. All organized photo shoots inside The MAX—for news coverage, school projects, etc.—require a staff member escort. Call or e-mail the Marketing Department to schedule your visit.
Due to the delicate nature of the artwork on view, additional light sources may not be permitted in certain galleries. Any additional approved lighting must be weighted at the base and must be kept 10 or more feet away from any work of art. Tripods and other special equipment must be approved in advance.
Photography and film shoots for commercial purposes (advertising, TV/film, etc.) must be approved and scheduled in advance by the Marketing Department. Commercial shoots are typically scheduled on Mondays, when The MAX is closed to the public. If any copyrighted artworks appear in the photos, please contact The Marketing Department for rights-holder information. It is the user’s responsibility to obtain necessary permissions and pay required fees to the artist, estate, or rights representative for any commercial use of copyrighted material.
- Outdoor portrait photography must not disrupt The MAX operations or visitor experience.
- All photographers and subjects must stay in publicly accessible areas and may not shoot on The MAX lawn without prior permission.
- Indoor shoots are subject to fees and may be scheduled only on Mondays or when The MAX is closed to the public.
- Indoor shoots are allowed only in lobby spaces and permanent collection galleries with no copyright restrictions.
- Indoor shoots require a MAX staff member escort.
- Photographs must be shot in natural light only. No artificial lights, reflectors, or diffusers are allowed.
- Tripods are permissible but must be approved in advance.
- Live floral arrangements and other props are prohibited.
- Engagement shoots require a fee and are limited to two hours, which includes any setup or hair/makeup time. All restrictions above also apply.
Professional images of objects in the collection are available for high-quality print publishing and commercial uses. To obtain high-resolution image files and copyright information, please contact the Marketing Department. Contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org OR email@example.com
Downloading images from www.msarts.org is permitted for non-commercial uses only.
The MAX may photograph or video visitors for educational and promotional purposes. Attendance on The MAX premises constitutes implied consent for the use of visitors’ likenesses in the museum’s promotional materials.
Personal photographs may not be published, sold, or otherwise distributed for commercial purposes.
The MAX reserves the right to withhold or withdraw permission to photograph on the premises. The MAX staff has the authority to approach and verify the intent of photography and to enforce the Photography Policy.
Questions? Please call:
- Media coverage and photo shoots: 601-581-1550 ext. 18
- Image rights and reproductions: 601-581-1550 ext. 18
Photography + Filming Request Form
To request The MAX for a photo or film shoot, please fill out the form below.