Education is the heart of this museum’s mission. At The MAX, learners will see the stories of Mississippi come to life all around them. Your K–12 school group can enjoy the interactive exhibits, explore The MAX through scavenger hunts, or even have lunch in our beautiful courtyard. Teachers can also add on a MAX classroom activity designed by a licensed educator to best meet the academic needs of the group.
- School group reservations must be made at least two weeks in advance. We are always happy to have visitors to the museum; however, we cannot guarantee the group rate or volunteer assistance in the galleries without advance reservations.
- Our group rate is $5 per person for a group with 10 or more students. Both students and adults are eligible for the group rate if they pay with the group. One chaperone for every 10 students will receive free admission.
- One chaperone for every 10 students is required and will receive free admission.
- Assistance with transportation costs is available for qualifying schools. Find more information in this explanation of the Yates Construction School Transportation Fund.
Any Given Child
As a partner of Any Given Child, The MAX is offering free museum school tours to Meridian public schools.
The city of Meridian was selected in August of 2016 by the Kennedy Center for a multiyear, pre-K–8 arts integration program called Any Given Child. This collaboration is among the MSU Riley Center, The MAX, members of the Meridian community, local educators, and the Kennedy Center. The Kennedy Center experts provide consulting to facilitate strategic planning for integrating arts education into the pre-K–8 experience in the Meridian Public School District. The goal of the program is to touch every child in their school experiences with the arts across many different forms – dance, music, theater, visual arts, and media arts.
- Any Given Child Teaching Artist Training
Teaching artists are invited to attend the Any Given Child Teaching Artist training facilitated by the Kennedy Center and organized by Any Given Child Meridian. Visit anygivenchildmeridian.org for a schedule of training sessions.
Success Programs are weeklong immersive programs for select Mississippi high school juniors and seniors that provide them with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to learn from celebrities and seasoned industry professionals how to navigate their chosen creative industry. Through private and public funding, The MAX offers these programs at no cost to the students, regardless of socioeconomic background.
Summer 2022 will feature a Sound of Success program in June and a Write for Success program in July. Teachers will be asked to recommend students each spring. For more information about these programs, call 601.581.1550.