Join our family.
Join our family.
About The MAX
The Mississippi Arts + Entertainment Experience is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, sex, creed, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, non-job-related disability, or marital status.
The $45 million Mississippi Arts + Entertainment Experience (The MAX) is a world-class facility highlighting Mississippi artists and celebrating the contributions of arts and entertainment entrepreneurs in every artistic discipline. The MAX is a statewide asset with a mission to recognize and honor legendary artists through hands-on exhibits that visually, auditorily, and kinesthetically educate, inform, and entertain every visitor.
The MAX, located in Downtown Meridian, is housed in an iconic, two-level structure consisting of over 58,000 square feet, with 22,000 square feet devoted to visitor experiences. The unique and informative exhibit design educates and inspires visitors, having a tremendous impact on Mississippi's economy. Exhibits are organized around five themes – land, home, community, church, and people + places. Audio and video stories tell who, what, where, when, why, and how Mississippians have influenced the arts and the creative economy all over the world. The MAX encourages visitors to enhance their Mississippi experience and rich cultural history by exploring other new and established museums, historic homes, and cultural activities throughout the state.
A Hollywood-style Walk of Fame, unveiled in 2009, makes its way from the nearby MSU Riley Center to The MAX. New Walk of Fame stars will join existing stars honoring Mississippi legends, including Elvis Presley, Jimmie Rodgers, B.B. King, William Faulkner, Morgan Freeman, Walter Anderson, and Harley Peavey. Other elements include a Mississippi Arts and Entertainment Hall of Fame, a gift shop, a broadcast studio, an art studio, a multipurpose room, an outdoor stage, and a courtyard that can be used by schools, civic clubs, churches, and individuals for special programs and events.
Join The MAX
Call for Art Instructors for Workshops
In order to inspire tomorrow's artists to follow their dreams, The MAX is seeking proposals from talented art instructors in all art forms, from drawing and ceramics to poetry and acting.
Dedicated to celebrating and honoring the lives and works of talented Mississippians who have touched the lives of so many around the world, The MAX, Mississippi's Arts + Entertainment Experience, showcases Mississippi’s legacy in every area of the arts, honors Mississippi's worldwide legends in arts and entertainment, and inspires tomorrow's artists to follow their own creative passions.
The MAX includes a recording studio and two fine arts studios equipped with materials for ceramics study and space to facilitate all fine arts practices.
The MAX seeks qualified instructors, as independent contractors, to teach art classes for children and adults that encourage self-expression and creativity. Instructors must possess an enthusiasm for teaching, extensive experience within their specialized art discipline, classroom management skills, and experience preparing class materials and implementing lesson plans. Candidates should be willing to challenge, engage, and communicate with students to encourage their participation and learning while maintaining mutual value and respect.
Applicants will be assessed on their breadth and depth of education, training, experience, skills, knowledge, and abilities.
- Commitment to The MAX's mission of providing quality arts education to members of the community
- A bachelor's degree in an art discipline (or an art education degree for children's classes)
- Ability to design and implement lesson plans that follow the Mississippi College- and Career-Ready Standards for arts
- Ability and willingness to promote classes
- Ability to interact with a wide variety of people
- Knowledge of various learning styles and curriculum design
Proposals should include:
- A cover letter
- Resume or CV showing formal training, exhibitions, and awards
- Three professional references
- A portfolio of professional artwork (electronic preferred)
- Brief class proposals that include cost of materials, your facilitation fee, time frame needed to facilitate, and length of series. Consider offering unique courses that challenge you as an instructor and your students as artists. Emphasize the skills and knowledge your students can expect to obtain from the course.
Please direct the above application materials to the Adult Educator at email@example.com
Visitor Services Associates
The Mississippi Arts and Entertainment Experience (The MAX) is seeking experienced, reliable and task-oriented individuals to provide excellent customer service to patrons of The MAX. The Part-Time Visitor Services Associates will be responsible for selling tickets and memberships at the Admissions Desk as well as selling merchandise in the Museum Store.
- Provide a welcoming environment and excellent customer service to patrons
- Sell tickets and memberships and other educational services
- Process retail sales and complete cash register transactions
- Use Point of Sale (POS) software to sell tickets and merchandise, look up inventory, and balance cash drawers at end of shift
- Answer phones and questions in a knowledgeable and friendly manner
- Respond in a friendly manner to visitor complaints and concerns
- Assist Manager with monitoring merchandise inventory, ticketing, stocking shelves, and other supplies and equipment
- Ability to be trained for other related functions
- High School diploma or GED
- Two or more years of experience in retail, customer services/guest services
- Experience in cash handling and working with complex ticketing systems is highly desired.
- Ability to orient group tours, school tours, and speak in front of large groups.
- Responsibility, friendliness, proper grooming, and honesty in handling cash and credit transactions
- Must work a part-time, flexible schedule
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs. and stand for long periods of time
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume’ via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or deliver to:
2155 Front Street
Meridian, MS 39301
The MAX stands on one of the most prominent sites in downtown Meridian, the first city in Mississippi with a Designated Entertainment District. The city boasts several architecturally significant historic buildings, including the 1890 Grand Opera House, now fully restored and a part of the MSU Riley Center; the Threefoot Building, an art deco masterpiece that became Meridian’s tallest skyscraper; and Meridian's Carnegie Library, which now houses the Meridian Museum of Art. The Meridian Little Theatre and the Dentzel Carousel (which dates from 1896), are other mainstays in the city. Meridian also has eight recognized historic districts and neighborhoods, including the largest collection of historic buildings in a downtown district in the state.
Meridian is known as The Strategic Center of the South and boasts a significant military presence, which includes Naval Air Station Meridian and the Key Field Air National Guard Base. Manufacturing and health care are also major contributors to the local economy. A dynamic multicultural community with a population just over 40,000, Meridian has a broad reach to larger populations in Jackson, Birmingham, Atlanta, New Orleans, and Memphis. The community also offers a relatively low cost of living, with the median home price in Meridian at $85,300.
A Mississippi State University (MSU) campus and Meridian Community College add to the vibrancy of the city and workforce development. The MSU Riley Center, a strategic partner with The MAX, opened its doors in September 2006 to offer cultural, artistic, and educational experiences like no other in the region. The multifaceted center attracts more than 60,000 visitors to downtown Meridian annually for conferences, meetings, and performances. The center includes the fully restored Grand Opera House theater that seats approximately 950, a 200-seat studio theater, and 30,000 square feet of meeting space, including a large exhibit hall, breakout rooms, and boardrooms, all equipped with teleconferencing capabilities and built-in technical features to create the optimal meeting environment.